Thursday, January 5, 2012

➹ lunch at school food



I was very much intrigued with School Food's concept and their take on Korean street fare. I browsed the menu on their website (www.schoolfood.co.kr) and wanted to try out soooo many delicious dishes! And then I even won a KRW 20,000 School Food voucher from the Seoul MICE promotions but sadly, it expired before we can confirm our travel dates to Seoul. Even so, I was resolved to try it out during my trip.

I was eyeing 2 locations~ Myeongdong or Garosugil. We ended up at the Myeongdong branch 서울시 중구 명동 2가 31-1 M PLAZA 5층. The interiors were simple and chic and we were easily led to an empty table by the attentive staff.

I already knew what I wanted to order but I still had fun browsing the menu. I asked my friend to choose the mari flavors for our combination platter. She selected 고추멸치, 불고기, 베이컨마늘 (Chili Anchovy, Bulgogi, and Bacon Garlic). It was served prettily like this:




They actually looked too cute to eat ㅋㅋ. The taste is ok though not very memorable. The fusion works well for the mari but I liked the traditional kimbap better ㅋㅋ. Still it was worth trying out the fusion flavors for fun!

I ordered the 치즈떡순이모둠 (Cheese Ddeokbokki, Sundae and Mandu). And the serving was huge:



The waitress kept confirming if I really wanted 치즈떡순이모둠 because it was very spicy. My spice tolerance has significantly increased since I started eating Korean food so I felt confident that I can enjoy my spicy ddeokbokki.

At first, I thought they forgot to include the cheese. But after looking closely, we figured that the cheese has already melted into the hot ddeokbokki creating a cheesy, sticky, flavorful plate. I had to try out the sauce first… and YUM! The red pepper taste is absolutely delicious! There was a burning sensation on the after taste but it was tolerable on my initial bites.

Next, I tried the sundae. I was never really much of a fan of sundae though it does taste nice. I like how it balances off the spicy flavorful ddeokbokki with its chewy glass noodles. And then of course, mandu is mandu ~ crispy yummy goodness.

At first I thought I could finish the entire plate especially since the eomuk was just too addicting! Ahhhh, but the spicy sensation builds with every bite. And indeed it was deadly spicy! My face was blushed from the heat in no time! It was cold outside but my face and tongue were burning slowly from the red sauce. I had to give up after finishing all the eomuk!

I want to go back next time and try the other fusion dishes. My Korean friend commented that the place was a bit too pricy though. Still, it was an interesting experience to taste these delightful concoctions!

No comments:

Post a Comment