Saturday, July 16, 2011

➹ yes man @ HBO


Originally written on Mar 11, '10 7:30 AM (salvaged from dying blog)

Jim Carrey learns and speaks a little Korean in the movie. That's all I needed to know ^^.

His pronunciation was totally awkward. Ah, but it was quite adorable. I've read a few unpleasant reactions on how the Korean language and culture were depicted in the movie though. I suppose it would be similar to me taking that slightest tiniest bit of offense when the Philippines is pictured as a backward island farmland. Also similar to how I figuratively roll my eyes in a WTH reaction when people almost can't believe how good we speak English. Oh well.

On the flipside, I can imagine how other Koreans might be amazed at Carrey's efforts to speak the language. There's a lot of them who are pleasantly amused at the most basic 한글 expressions. At least that's how people explained why the 할아버지's were so persistent on conversing with us on our Seoul trip last year. Even if all I can say was "미안해요" meaning "sorry". I really should have used "죄송합니다 ..."

Anyway, the 한글 선생님 told Carrey "잘했어요" meaning good work. Meanwhile, Carrey's endearing conversation with the Korean saleslady at the bridal shop was promptly subtitled ... except perhaps on the Soo-Mi 화이팅 part? But it works out ok.



Cuteness ^^.

The movie was still entertaining, regardless of the plenty discouraging reviews I saw hehe ^^. I thought the terrorist plot was just funny! Am I evil that the communist NK is humorous for me? Ah, well ... overanalyzing just makes me old.

Oh and by the way, HOLLYWOOD BOWL? Romantic eh? Oooh, I remember how much I researched about that place last May 2008... Oooh... -->

And oh! oh! "Let's be scared together" was an "awwwwwwwww"-moment for me ^^.

No comments:

Post a Comment