Monday, June 11, 2012

➹ pretty korean postcards

Now that everyone is all to absorbed in getting and keeping things online, there is little appreciation for old school mementos like postcards. My dad used to snail mail me postcards from Papua New Guinea when he worked there but that was a really LOOOOONG time ago! I honestly have not sent postcards from my own travels in the recent years … neither have I recently received any from friends or family EXCEPT these ones from Korea!



I received this first one February of 2010. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it on my doorstep at home after work. A dear Korean friend sent me this postcard with a heartwarming message at the back. I love it so much that I kept it in my work journal and kept transferring it as I switch to new journals each year! I kept a Starbucks dedication postcard with this Korean postcard. This one was given to me by my선배 from last New Year. It's so nice to see these postcards as they remind me of how fortunate I am to have found really amazing friends.



I got this new one last weekend from a fangirl 동생 ^^. It is the very definition of AWE-INSPIRING! Gwanghwamun Square is one of my favorite places in Seoul. Like my first Korean postcard, the message at the back was absolutely delightful. Now I've framed it at my work desk so I can always imagine escaping to Seoul even for just a few minutes each day. It's kind of funny too because when I look at this postcard I realize how coincidence can be all too amazing!? How lucky am I to have crossed paths with these wonderful friends~

So where can you get amazing postcards in Seoul? Well, I'm pretty sure there are postcards available on key tourist locations like Insadong, Namsan Tower and palace souvenir shops. There also used to be a free postcard program at Tourism offices! I got some Summer 2011 postcards from the Seoul Global Center at M Plaza in Myeongdong last year. They gave me a tourist pack with the postcards inside. I sure wanted to get more of these fangirl postcards but I was too shy to ask for more haha.

Another place worth checking out is the underground Haechi shop at Gwanghwamun. They have Haechi postcards which might be delightful for kids or any Haechi fans. I think I'll buy some from here on my next vacation.

Lastly, the picture postcards from Ssamziegil never get old! You can take your pictures and include them on a traditional postcard you can email to family, friends or just yourself hehe. We were vertically challenged and had some difficulty with this haha but it was still a worthwhile and free experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there,

    I would like to check with you. are you staying in korea? Cause i would like to have a few couple of postcard which mailed from korea straight. My friend birthday is coming soon. and she a lover of collecting postcards. i would like to buy her korea postcard as a gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Oh how I wish I was based in Seoul ~~ unfortunately, I am not :(. My friends just came from there so I don't think I can help you. Sorry about that.

      Delete